By Eric Holthaus – If global CO2 peaks in 2013—that is, sometime in the next week or so—followed by drastic reductions, we’re still locked in to climate change of 1°C or so until about 2100. If we delay this peak until 2030 (the green line in the chart on the right above), Hansen projects extensive climate-change impacts will continue for a further two centuries. If we delay until 2050 (the red line), dangerous climate change will be locked in until past the year 3000.
Basically, if we wait even a few years to implement anything less than a fossil-fuel starvation diet, momentum already built into the system nearly guarantees the climate is toast. more> http://tinyurl.com/k6oruqf
- Climate Scientist: 2 Degrees of Warming Too Much (livescience.com)
- Current climate targets could send emissions over the edge (carbonbrief.org)
- Climate Change This Week: Warsaw Walkout, Clean Energy Pride, and More! (huffingtonpost.com)
- Climate Change Temperature Targets Still Too High (sustainablebusiness.com)
- Global Energy Dynamics: Shifting Gears (studentenergy.org)