- the telegram
- the telephone
Each of these had roughly the same story arc:
- Inventors discovered the technology.
- Hobbyists pioneered the applications of that technology, and popularized it.
- Corporations took notice. They commercialized the technology, refined it, and scaled it.
- Once the corporations were powerful enough, they tricked the government into helping them lock the technology down. They installed themselves as “natural monopolies.”
- After a long period of stagnation, a new technology emerged to disrupt the old one. Sometimes this would dislodging the old monopoly. But sometimes it would only further solidify them.
And right now, we’re in step 4 the open internet’s narrative. We’re surrounded by monopolies.
The problem is that we’ve been in step 4 for decades now. And there’s no step 5 in sight. The creative destruction that the Economist Joseph Schumpeter first observed in the early 1900s has yet to materialize. more> https://goo.gl/dFd7MK