The unseemly episode is deeply embarrassing for the Marine Corps and the Defense Department, proud institutions that, like many college campuses around the country, have struggled to curtail widespread problems with sexual assault.
At the same time, it exposes an unsettling rift within a segment of American society consistently regarded as reputable, honorable and trustworthy.
- Hundreds of Marines investigated for sharing photos of naked colleagues
- Lewd photos of female Marines spark probes, consternation
- ‘I’m never reenlisting’: Marine Corps rocked by nude-photo scandal
- Study: Female Marines, Sailors at Higher Risk of Sexual Assault
- Pentagon misled lawmakers on military sexual assault cases